Saturday 18 July 2015

Time for the Traditional Kerala Massage

Yesterday on July 17th, Karkidakam Maasam has started and punctually the rain has arrived. 


What is going to happen in nature, namely being cleaned by the rain water, it is fit for physical use to detox the body. That‘s why Karkidakam is considered to be the best time for having a Thirumal, the traditional Kerala massage. 
Since during this time in Europe is summer, most of our guests will come between October to March, many of them enjoy massage too. 


As every year my massage started yesterday. For around 2 weeks, Lilama will come every morning to our Sylviander House, where in our massage room with attached bathroom she will give me a massage with a mixture of 2 ayurvedic oils, home made by an ayurveda family in the mountains of Kerala. 


Afterwards she will rub me with a natural fibre and wash me like a small child with hot medicinal water. 


4 different medicinal barks have to be boiled in a big vessel on an open fire one day before … 


On the first day during the massage already water flows out of my pores, which makes Lilama happy, saying: Velam! Water! This is how detoxification works and that‘s why the medicinal bath afterwards with rubbing the skin is so important … 
The benefit of this treatment I could feal already straight after. I was relaxed and fell asleep for some time, a very homely feeling while the rains outside create a cooling melody … 


Suffering from arthritis, which often ruins my sleep, this Thirumal so lovingly practised by Lilama repairs my troubled nerves and bring back a deep sleep like a baby full of dreams … 



(also see blog post »Thirumal, the traditional Kerala massage for the Wellbeing«, from 13.7.2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment