Friday 25 October 2013

3 Decades (1983 – 2013), Drawings by Alexander Devasia, 6 PM . 09 NOV 2013 . GALLERY OED COCHIN



To draw has always been the most direct contact with my surroundings – people and nature. 
In 1984, I was suspended from the College of Fine Arts for one year because of political and philosophical differences with my teachers. I left behind in my hostel room hundreds of drawings made during my study course until then. During this suspended year, I went on working, staying at home in Punnapra, my native village in Kerala, always keeping paper and pencils with me like a diary. 
Most of the drawings in this collection displayed here originated during this period. 
On my return to college, I wasn’t prepared for the shocking loss: all the drawings made from 1979 till the beginning of 1984 had vanished without a trace. For me, this fact was a cause for tremendous pain. 
This exhibition is dedicated to my lost drawings and in remembrance of that time.
Alexander Devasia

Exhibition 9 – 30 November 2013
Gallery OED Cochin, Dilip Narayanan, 6/500, Bazar Road, Mattancherri, Cochin, 682 002, Kerala, 09447 108011

No comments:

Post a Comment