Wednesday 10 December 2014

culinary joy: home made bread with passionfruit-papaya-pineapple-pomelo jam

Before all politics: Food! You are what you eat! 


From May to November plenty of passion fruits are growing in the garden of Sylviander House, where pesticides have no permission. 


Passion fruit is very tasteful and there are a lot of possibilities to use it for fine dish. Beside fruit salad and fruit jelly I always make some varieties of jam. 


This time I made passionfruit-papaya-pineapple jam and passionfruit-papaya-pomelo jam, which has a slight bitter taste. 
I don‘t use much sugar – and never the white one, only natural palm sugar. For thickening I take Aga-Aga, which is made from algae. 


I cut everything very small, a part of it I smash in the mixer for a second. Then cook it for few minutes and put it hot in glasses, close them, set them upside down for an hour – this creates a vacuum inside and makes it long lasting. But my experiences in the last years showed to me, that in the tropical climate it keeps on a dark cool place for some weeks or months only, instead years as it does in cold Germany. 


With this fruity jam we can eat the local roti, but for me as a European there is nothing more delicate to eat with than a fresh made bread of full corn … 


The smell, when it is baken brings happiness to all my senses! And of course to bite in this freshly made bread, slightly warm, crispy and soft … 


And you really have to bite and chew, which I miss in the indian cuisine. Our european guests are happy whenever I bake bread for breakfast, which they enjoy with my fruity jams … 

1 comment:

  1. ... und sie ist lecker, ich gerhoere zu den Gluecklichen, die sie geniessen durfte :)

    ReplyDelete